Saturday 25 May 2013

GONE TROPPO


GONE TROPPO :  This was George Harrison's ninth studio album before he went off on a five years hiatus  ( sounds familiar ) and did nothing musically except for the occasional soundtracks. He did nothing to promote the album resulting in it being his worst selling album of all. I wasn't too keen on any George Harrison albums either during this time. I bought this album dutifully with genuine liking for one song and have it lying on the shelf since. On relistening to this CD, I found that as usual, the devil is really not as bad as he was painted. There are hidden gems here to be found here which I've only just discovered. Out of 10 songs, there are only 2 that borders on slightly boring. The rest is quite fine by any standard. I loved the album cover too

Wake Up My Love ( Harrison ) : It's a given that all George Harrison's album will start with an uptempo songs and this is just one of that. Doesn't do anything with me. Just listen and forget.

That's The Way It Goes ( Harrison ) : I must confess that this alsolutely geogeous song have escaped my attention. It was only during his tribute concert on "The Concert For George" when I heard Joe Brown singing it that it blew me away instantly. I immediately reconnect with this song and now it's one of my definite favourite.

I Really Love You ( Swearinen ) Truth to told, this was the only song that I use to care about on this album. I just play this song and ignored all the rest which was a real injustice. I'm not really how much input have George put in this vocal but it's sure is a nice de wop number.

Greece ( Harrison ) : I was always interested in any instrumental piece that any ex Beatle puts out and, believe it or not, I wasn't even aware that there was an instrumental track here. Does gives you an idea how much I thought of this album at one time. Anyway, this is a pleasant track.

Gone Troppo ( Harrison ) : The title track is not too bad after all. I may actually like it enough to even place it inside my hand phone.

Mystical One ( Harrison ) : Saved for "Extra Texture," any George Harrison's albums would not be complete  without at lease one song with religious undertones. As religious song goes, this is quite listenable.

Unknown Delight ( Harrison ) : Rather boring this but still, not as bad as some of his other boring songs. Probably saved by the beautiful guitar solo.I could still live through this.

Baby, Don't Run Away ( Harrison ) : Another uninteresting song that seems to be George's thing at t
his time but I don't know whether it's his death or I've grown more tolerable but somehow his boring songs doesn't sounds as bad as when I first heard them. There was a time when I just can't stand hearing his voice on those songs, hence my overlooking his better songs.

Dream Away ( Harrison ) : Now we're talking music again. I detect strains of 'My Sweet Lord' backing here but  nevertheless, this is a nice track and it was lifted to be the next single. Unfortunately it didn't do well. It was remember more as part of the soundtrack of the hit movie "Time Bandits" 'cos it was played in the closing credits.

Circles ( Harrison ) : You sure can't say I am biased with Paul McCartney when I am listening to this. Boring. Sure is heartbreaking to hear a guy who once comes up with gems like 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' reduced to this.

Additional Track :

Mystic One [ Demo ] ( Harrison ) : A slower version demo of this religious sounding song. George is doing it again. Trying to get me to sleep when I am reassessing his past recordings. Ops, my apology it wasn't his fault. He didn't put this here. It's his recording company to blame. The finished product is much better.

DOP : 15th November 2005.



No comments:

Post a Comment