Sunday 19 May 2013

ALL THINGS MUST PASS


ALL THINGS MUST PAST. DELUXE EDITION : George Harrison first album proper after a mainly instrumental soundtrack album and an experimental one. And what an album it was. Originally released as a mammoth 3 records it have scored a few firsts. It was the first ever triple album in the history of rock and the first ex beatle album to go No.1 as was the single 'My Sweet Lord.' It was also George Harrison's declaration of independence and finally out of the shadow of  his understandably more celebrated ex colleagues John Lennon and Paul McCartney to finally be recognised as an artist in his own right. I didn't get to hear this album till years later 'cos I couldn't find the album here. The store just wouldn't risk stocking a 3 record set here doubting George Harrison's marketability. George somehow was not as big as John or Paul here. I finally got the album from Singapore through a cousin of mine. Thirty odd years later I got the CD version and then a few months later came this deluxe version, with a few extra tracks to boot. Thankful I was saved from my agony when I managed to sell off this CD to one of my Beatles' friends and got this deluxe version.

Disc 1
Disc 1

I'd Have You Anytime ( Harrison / Dylan ) : This collaborating effort with one of his best buddy was a rather slow start to an outstanding album. This track doesn't gives any clues to the wonders that was to come.

My Sweet Lord ( Harrison ) : The biggie of the album. Incredibly I didn't like this song on first hearing. It was too long for me. But before too long, it grew on me and when it was rooted in me, it stayed there and to this day remained one of my all time ex Beatle favourite songs. I never truly believe about George's supposed plagiarism of this song from The Chiffon's 'He's So Fine.' A songwriter of George's calibre doesn't need to plagiarised from anyone.

Wah - Wah ( Harrison ) : This one is a rock and roll heavy. A bit too noisy for me so was not my favourite.

Isn't It A Pity ( Harrison ) : This was edited down as the B side of 'My Sweet Lord.' A self pitying song but at more than 7 minutes length, it was way too long. Almost 'Hey Jude' proportion. Tends to get boring as it goes on and on.

What Is Life ( Harrison ) : Now this is more like it. A solid riff driven rock and roll song that John and Paul would have been proud of. The guitar riff alone will stick to your head for days.

If Not For You ( Dylan ) : I absolutely loves this heavy version of this track. Olivia Newton-John may have the hit version but this was clearly the definite version here. I usually press the repeat button for this. Gems like this should be served twice of more.

The original cover
Behind That Locked Door ( Harrison ) : George showing he is more than just a flash in the pan with this beautiful country and western number. One of the highlights.

Let It Down ( Harrison ) : George gets heavy again. Not terribly memorable but it does gives us some varieties.

Run Of The Mill ( Harrison ) : A run of the mill track but really nice and listenable.

Additional Tracks :

I Live For You ( Harrison ) : This song was only ever available on bootlegs to those in the know but this is one great song. Don't know why it was put in storage in the first place. A fine country song. Our loss until now.

Beware Of Darkness ( Harrison ) : The stripped down version of this fine song. Nice to hear the clarity in his voice.

Let It Down ( Harrison ) : Never really like this track. The original was too loud for me. Still, I prefer this demo better than the original.

What Is Life ( Harrison ) : The same terrific track but minus the vocal leaving only the instrumental backing.

My Sweet Lord [ 2000 ] ( Harrison ) : Don't really like this remake. George's voice is not in the best of form. I take the the original anytime. I have this single too but I sold it when I got this set.

Disc 2

DISC 2

Beware Of Darkness ( Harrison ) : Love this. Definitely one of the highlights here. I first heard this from the "Concert For Bangladesh" movie and I fell in love with this song instantly. George played it live exactly like it was in the studio.

Apple Scruffs ( Harrison ) : George rewarded all those loyal and faithful fans waiting around the recording studio for sights of The Beatles with this sweet little ditty. A sweet acoustic number with harmonica and all. I can't believe anyone could not like this track.

Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp [ Let It Roll ] ( Harrison ) : I don't quite get this track. It sounded quite average to me but it was accorded legendary status when it became the title of George's 2009 Greatest Hits Collection.

Awaiting On You All ( Harrison ) : Another highlights. This one have George singing on his apparent love for religion and and the hypocrisy of man, and man, he sure did it in a rocking way.

All Things Must Pass ( Harrison ) : The one The Beatles passed over. Had they recorded it then, we would have had another Beatles classic. Plain l
ovely with that twangy country feel.

I Dig Love ( Harrison ) : This sounds experimental but it somehow fits in with the album.

Art Of Dying ( Harrison ) : This one have the large rock feel to it. The kind that you play loud with air guitar and all. The Beatles just think of everything, don't they.

Isn't It A Pity ( Harrison ) : This shorten version is a lot more bearable than the first version which ran close to 8 minutes. I tend to be more tolerable when the artist is no more with us as it was with John. I used to skip this track but now I listened to it till the end.

The booklet
Hear Me Lord ( Harrison ) : With this heartfelt plead to the Lord, we've come to the last song proper from the album. A nice track to close the album. The followings tracks are long endless jams that most don't listen to.

Original Jam :

It's Johnny's Birthday ( Martin / Coulter / Harrison ) : The only remotely recognisable song here. Sung to the tune of Cliff Richard's Erovision entry 'Congratulation,' I find this amusing and quite entertaining.

Plug Me In ( Harrison ) : I haven't really listen to this in a while but I have to confess I quite like this.

I Remember Jeep ( Harrison ) : Likewise with this. It's much better than John Lennon's live set in "Sometime In New York City." Maybe I too, like others have underestimated the quiet one. Still, clocking at close to 8 minutes, it's really is too long for my liking.

Thanks For The Pepperoni ( Harrison ) : This was the most rock and roll sounding jam from here. I can visualising the guys enjoying themselves here. A full blown endless jam nevertheless.

Out Of The Blue ( Harrison ) : The final track from the CD and frankly my ears are eshausted. Listenable they may be, still I wouldn't be playing them too soon.

DOP : 23rd September 2003.




No comments:

Post a Comment